Articles Focused on the New York Mets. Opinions on the players, the rivalries, the standings and anything else that comes to mind.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Too Early To Tell If We Are Watching Players or Saying Prayers.

The Backstop had another 2 cents that he just had to spend on the Mets.
Well for the first time in 7 years I did not get to attend the home opener.
Yeah, poor me.  I get to go tomorrow night because of a very good friend.  From some of the stories I am hearing about stub hub prices and around the Queens campfire I am fortunate to get to see the place so soon.  Hope everybody who went enjoyed the new atmosphere.
Just a few quick things about the ball game that broke out in the mist ofall the ceremonies.
1)I said Mike Pelfrey was a gamer and I still believe he is.  Last night he just did not have it.  Guys that build their arsenal around their sinker-ball always run the risk (especially early in the season) of having too much of a push, and not enough of a whip to their 2 seamer.  The result: A very flat very straight fastball that is very hitable.  I might also have objected to the way he and Schneider where going after Kevin Kouzmanoff.  He is a guy that would rather take a subway in Moscow at 2 o'clock in the morning than a walk.  They could have expanded the strike zone a litte bit in an effort to get him to swing at a few bad pitches.  Besides that I think that Pelf's better games this season are going to come when his arm tires just a little.  That is what helps the sinkers sink and not float.  All the same he is still a work in progress.  I still hope(see title) that he can bring big things.
*Note;  This would be as good a time as any to put in my pitch to bringback the still unemployed Pedro Martinez.  Pelfrey needs to learn a little more about how to guess and evaluate a batter's approach.  I have never seen a better pitcher than the great Pedro at the guessing game.  Pedro is an outright mindreader who Pelfrey and many other young pitchers could learn a lot from.  I beg you (Omar, Fred, Jeff, Bernizard in sheeps clothing) Do not let another team be taught these tricks.  If he can start 15 games and sit on the bench the rest of the time, he will be talking and other players benefit from that.  Ask around.
2) I will always give credit where it is due.  So I must put in a word of praise for our second baseman.  They practically modified the introductions last night to minimize Castillo from being booed.  The credit first goes to the New York fans who prove time and again and above that they will issue a clean (short leashed) slate to a player that shows effort.  Kudos Mets fans.  I must also comend Mr. Castillo for coming through in the early innings when he knew if he did not the water would start to boil.  He wants to prove himself to us. (His Words)  I for one am happy to let him try.
3) I have been vocal of late about why Mr. Wright has gotten a pass for not coming up in the clutch whileMr. Reyes is subject to league wide and media wide ridicule for his choreographed antics.  Despite anything that Jimmy Rollins or anybody else has to say, Jose Reyes puts his money where his dancing hand-shakes are year in and year out.  I had just got done saying this when David Wright hit a Clutch with a capital D (for Ding Dong That ball Is So Gone) home run to tie the game up last night.  That was huge.  My hope is that our 3rd baseman who has the ceiling limit that is nothing shy of the Cardinals firstbaseman, (You heard me), a) returns to basics b)hit the ball where it is pitched c) forget about your poster image & d) Throw the ball at Delgado's Jersey logo,not his feet.
4) When it is all said and done we lost.  I would love to make predictions or see if I can discuss what I think we need.  It is just too early.  The last 2 games were lost by an outfield error and a balk collectively.  Way too much ball to play.  So if you are already starting to pray, stop.  Its baseball not real life.   I am as passionate about baseball as anybody you will ever know. But pray for something important.   Baseball is a wonderful microcosm of life, it is not real life.
Thanking you for joining me this season with all the humility at my disposal,
The Backstop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers