Articles Focused on the New York Mets. Opinions on the players, the rivalries, the standings and anything else that comes to mind.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Mets This Time Tomorrow 0&1 or 1&0?

Hey Folks,
The Backstop here.  It is Time.  Tomorrow The New New New York Metropolitans go to battle for game one of 162.  Like many I would almost rather sit in a state of coma until The last game of the season (as that seems to be where we all live and die as fans) "It could not possibly happen a third time" you say.  I said it could never happen a second time.  There I was watching it all happen again.  Closed against the sam Marlins.   On the second to last game an overlooked super start out of two of our starters.  (John Maine & Johan Santana pitched what could have been in the archives of the greatest performances ever hurled by an Amazin untill... Jaw drops, tears soon follow (for those that admit it) It happened again.  I sat and watched the final ceremonies at Shea on television.  Almost got the sense that a playoff birth would have got in the way of the shutdown ceremony.  Imagine the Great Mike & Tom took the walk to the centerfield doorway and said "We will see you tomorrow folks."  They probably would have worked around it.  
So here we are.  It is the eve of the 2009 Mets Campaign.  I am here to say that this time we will make it through with runs to spare.  I will likely do quite a bit of talking about silly things like My Crazy Uncle Rich.  Whom I affectionately refer to as the guy I thank for making me a Mets fan in April and the guy to blame in September.  Trade possibilities when it becomes that time.  Standings and projected standings.  All kinds of fun stuff.  If you care to join me.  Well the motors are running and here we go.
A few things for the record:
1) I will never abandon my team so if you are the type that hides his Blue & Orange until they are the toast of the town... I was there on opening day to watch Rickie Gutuierez start at second base.  When the big off season find was Karim Garcia  & his equivalent.  I believed then and I believe now.  I am going down with this ship.  But that does not matter because this is finally the year.  World Series.  No Hitter (I will say Johan) Mets' First Ever NL MVP (Carlos Beltran)
It is all now.
2) Before the season starts I want to say one thing that the team needs more than even a righ handed bat that Shefield may be.   A fist fight.  I do not want anybody to get hurt. Its only baseball.  I don't even advocate violence.  But baseball is a self policing entity.  And the Phillies have rubbed their (our) noses in it to a degree that has to be "Policed."  Pitchers bat, and I wonder if Young King Cole should be careful digging his back leg in too deep.  Just a few shoves and wrestling matches is all I am asking for.  For team unification.  I was a player myself. Believe me, it helps.
3) At some point (And this may be a bit ambitious) I may attempt to switch this spot over to video.  We will see how that works out.
Bring It Philly and all the rest of them.
The Backstop
P.S.  Phillies lost their first game to Atlanta.  We start the day tomorrow 1/2 a game ahead of the champs & 1/2 a game behind the Braves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers