Articles Focused on the New York Mets. Opinions on the players, the rivalries, the standings and anything else that comes to mind.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

I Saw The New Home.

The Backstop had another 2 cents that hejust had to spend on the Mets.
I will always be able to say that I was at the first ever New York Mets victory at Citi Field.  And it was a special night indeed.  I said last week that I would love to eat my words concerning a previous post about Oliver Perez.  Well, after one very good follow up start: Mr. Perez, these words taste almost as good as the slow cooked pork tacos I had at the new super concessions court.  (For those curious about price, I had the 2 soft tacos, a large soda, and a vanilla waffle cone for a little less than $20)
I love the field.  I do not side with "obstructed view" complaint fest that everybody is ranting about.  We are talking about 2 to 3 % of the field that you may not be able to see depending on where your seats are.  And if that is a real bother simply look up for one of the billion televisions.  The T.V. 's are wisely timed to a 3 second delay so on the outside chance you are sitting in an area that misses a big play, do what I do, just look up.
The 2 biggest baseball highlights of the week were the 2 starts by the 2 southpaws.  Obviously Johan winning a game 1-0 that the bullpen managed to hold and save for him was huge.  Last year we loose that game 10 times out of 10. This comforts me a little.
Otherwise, thus far, I see what the record states.  They look like a .500 team with way above .500 talent.  The biggest issue that see right now is a lack of timely hitting.   I hate to keep saying this, but it is still way too early to base the few units of measure I have to work with, to make a fair evaluation.  I find it funny that the last person I want to see batting with 2 outs and a tie or go ahead run on base is no other than the face of the franchise.  David Wright thus far is striking out at an alarming rate.  He has also been far from what we would call "clutch". (Tick tick tick) I am putting a hopeful helping of mustard on those words before I type them. 
 Castillo, a pleasant surprise thus far. (Tock tock tock)  I truly hope that he can last the season out the way he is going.  If for no other reason; To piss my uncle Rich off.
Which takes us to a new weekly tradition here on the backstop.
My Crazy Uncle Rich's quote for the week.
"I am not getting myself worked up over them this year if they win, they win.  If they loose, they loose...  You mean to tell me that they could not get another 2 lousy runs off that bum Jeff Suppan? (Remember him)  They make him look like an all star."  
This is the same Jeff Suppan that shut us down completely in the 2006 NLCS.   Who pitched out of trouble with the bases loaded and 0 outs in the 6th inning.  The same guy who after "the catch" was able to step out any rally possibilities with a 1 - 2- 3 bottom 8 throwing less than 15 pitches.  Yeah he is a real nobody.
Final thoughts and I will get back to you during the week.
What do you think the Mets need to do.  Go get a player? Leave it alone? Get into a fist fight?
I would love to hear from you if you are out there.  Until then don't crowd the plate and be well.
Best,
The Backstop 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers