Articles Focused on the New York Mets. Opinions on the players, the rivalries, the standings and anything else that comes to mind.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

"Timely Hitting Running Late, But it is Still Early"

New year...fresh start...hope springs eternal.   It could not possibly happen a third time!  All things I find myself saying when I notice a few blotches in the Mets offense.  But it is still way too early to evaluate that.  The team has yet to play a home game.  That said, they have left way to many runners on base.  Here's to hoping it does not become a habit. Ultimately it is timely hitting that wins games.

A few bright spots that are apparent early:
  1. Ryan Church appears to be picking up where he left off before his second concussion of last year, and the brilliant front office thought it wise to let him fly to Colorado (the highest point with the thinnest air in the continental United States...for future reference Concussion + Long Plane Trip + being in Colorado = a much worse concussion)
  2. Daniel Murphy.  When I first saw him, I thought he would be a flash in the pan.  He came right up from double A, his swing takes about a half an hour, and as a prospect analyst...I never payed close attention to him.  Well let me say that I missed out on something special...his long swing is deceptive because of the way he brings his hands through the hitting zone.  At the moment, he has one of the best eyes among any younger players in the game.  His plate discipline is remarkable and he is mature well beyond his years.  I'm on board with the idea that he is the real thing and will only get better.
  3. November of last year, I began projecting that Carlos Beltran will win NL MVP, becoming the first New York Met in club history to earn this honor...I stand by it. 
  4. I will give Castillo the benefit of the doubt for the time being.  He looks healthier and I just want to believe that.
  5. Wright has a slow bat.  Does anybody think he will stay that way?
  6. Reyes is already being Reyes and I still do not think we have seen the best of him or Davy DoWright.
  7. Delgado is already off to a better start than he was last year.
Four games in and lots of fun to come.  As I write this, the Mets are winning 5 - 0 over the Marlins behind the bats of Reyes, Murphy, Church, & Castillo.  Number 5 starter on the hill... and he shall be Levon and he shall be a good man.

The Backstop Loves Feedback.
Lots of topics to touch on.
Am I the only person that STILL thinks that Pedro deserves to be on this team?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers