Articles Focused on the New York Mets. Opinions on the players, the rivalries, the standings and anything else that comes to mind.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Early Day 2 Winter Wonder What Do We Do.

The Backstop Back At Ya: I know that I said many times that this team needed a player with some serious heart.  I also know that I am nobody to complain about some one else's spelling problems.  But this is a little hard to miss.
Okay, I admit that was a silly pun, but I had to try it.  The Mets are apparently discussing a deal with the Brewers that would send them John Maine and bring back Cory Hart. H-A-R-T.  The (maine) thing holding the deal up is that Omar Minaya would like to aquire more sure handed starting pitching for the rotation before letting Maine go.
I have been a big supporter of John Maine ever since we got him as a "throw in" from Baltimore when we took back Armando Benitez part II (Big Julio) and got rid of Mrs. Benson by trading her husband.  (When my favorite team traded one of my least favorite pitchers and I miss his wife.  Especially with the holiday season upon us.)
I was somewhat pleased however, to learn of the pitchers Omar is looking into.  The 2 names that seem to come up the most often this morning are Kevin Milwood and (a solid #1 or 2 in any league during any offseason) John Lackey.  Milwood would likely be a one year $12m salary dump for the Rangers so if there are no other serious bidders for his servics, we may be able to get him for a mid level AA prospect and a AAA reliever.  His numbers were not bad last year considering that he pitches in Texas.  He is that guy that should give you innings.  Citi Field would be his friend.
As for the free agent prize.  John Lackey is everything Ollie Perez isin't.  He is a work horse. He has fire in his gut as well as his arm.   Most importantly he would take the pressure off of the #3 4 & 5 strarters who ever they turn out to be.  I like the idea of Johan & Lackey as our 1 & 2.  I also think that the opposition would dislike this tandem.  Mets fans who don't know about him because he plays on the other coast should remember that he was the ace of a team that made it to the playoffs more often than we did during his tenure in L.A.
One last little tid-bit.  Omar did acknowledge the teams interest in the Doc.  I don't suppose this comes as much of a surprise to anybody.  He also added that such a deal would be what he called "a pipe dream" at the moment.  This is true.  But so was Johan.

Reserving how I feel about Corey Hart for the moment.  Still a Maine supporter.
Hopefully will have more to report later on or tomorrow.  Until then.  Lets enjoy all of our pipe dreams.
Who does that hurt?

The Backstop.

1 comment:

  1. The Mets would be foolish to give up on Maine, especially straight up for Hart. I don't know why the Mets even discussed trading him...seems pointless to me. (Hopefully) Hart won't be an everyday player, and you want to trade Maine, a guy who will be an important part of your 2010 rotation - for a bench player. Sorry Minaya, we don't need anymore bench players, not for John Maine.

    ReplyDelete

Followers