Articles Focused on the New York Mets. Opinions on the players, the rivalries, the standings and anything else that comes to mind.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Less than 40 Games. I See Bo Light, But I Do See a Tunnel.

The Backstop Back At Ya:
The team is starting to click.  This was so obviously missing through games 1-10.  I am watching them in their second game against the Giants out in the land of fruits and nuts. (I kid.  Got so much Cali love.  In fact I am going back)  They are winning 7-6.  The 2009 NL MVP Carlos Beltran just hit an infield single in the top of the 9th.  
Here are 2 reasons that I think they are becoming a team instead of 25 individuals.
1) I have counted 4 games that they won so far that they without a doubt, 100% certain,no margin for error, lose last year.   Actually they lose them last year, 2007, and I will even go on a limb and say 2006. Same odds.  They do not overcome 5 first inning runs against the reining NL Cy Young award winner, and fight back to win.  They do not give up a tying run in the top of the 9th and take back the lead in the 9th.  They don't score a) In late innings with a lead.  b)With two outs & b) With runners in scoring position very often...  That is until now. Bases loaded top of the ninth, 0 outs insurance run 90 feet up the lime line.  Tatis up. Stand By.  Sac Fly.  Beltran scores. Shefield tags and moves to 3rd. 
2) Overcoming injuries & errors.  I do not think I am alone when I say that every time the ball is hit to 3b these days, I hold my breath, and hope Davy Do-Wright does not do wrong.   I mean no disrespect to Uncle Fred's Golden Cash Goose.  He is just making those throws to first a bit of an adventure than I would like them to be.  *I must concede to anybody that says "Lets see you try it."  I cant.  I have played 8 positions over the course of my life with some success.  For some reason I could never handle the throws from 3b.  But I see them making errors (mental or physical)  and picking each other up.  One guy makes a mistake, another does twice as what is expected. Give me a T-E-A-M.
I have always said that this team goes the way Reyes goes.  Well Reyes is hurt.  Delgado is headed to the DL.  Alex Cora, Jeremy Reed, Fernando Tatis, the Sheff and others have them on the verge of a 3rd win in a row with a pinch hit pop up from Reyes and no Delgado at all.
It lend itself  to a lesson that the other NY team simply refuses to learn.  You do not have the best team by having all of the best players.  We need the Mazilli/Endy/Tatis factor to be a factor.  Role players are as important as who ever is batting fourth.
Giant went in order to J.J. Putz in the bottom ninth.  Ball Game.
The Backstop always believes.  Long way to go until the light at the end of the tunnel.  2 Games in first...  They are in the tunnel.  
Best..
The Backstop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers