Articles Focused on the New York Mets. Opinions on the players, the rivalries, the standings and anything else that comes to mind.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

7 of the backstops million observations this week.

The Backstop Back At Ya:
A four game sweep of the Braves & Phillies.  A opening series win against the Pirates to boot.
1) The Backstop has several witnesses that heard him say last June that Carlos Beltran would be the 2009 NL MVP.  With the likes of King Albert and Votto in the way,  I stand by this prediction.  He would be the first NY Met to take this honor.  I must note that C-Bel is generally never this good in April & May.  He usually catches his stride in mid-June.  Watching him play, as good as he has been, he still does not look like he has caught his stride.  
2) More than a year after the great trade with the Twins I still find myself pausing during the course of my day and saying the beloved words "Johan Santana is a Met."  The art of pitching in its most refined form is on display in the blue & orange every fifth day.  I advise all fans to take it in as much as they can.  All hail a 1-0 lead is actually safe.
3) K-Rod & the cast in the cage.  I am up to 4 games in this early season that I can say, without a doubt, that we would have lost last season.  That is with or without Wagner.  
4)Being half a game out of first has no meaning to me at this part of the season.  Being 5 games out in this stage would yield no more concern.  We are in the unfortunate position where the regular season has been going on since the called 3rd strike to end game 6 back in 2006.  The reality is that this is the 2009 season.  We are barely at the 30 game mark.  There is too much baseball to play yet.  In all 6 divisions, the true stand out teams have yet to reveal themselves.
5) Oliver's Travels. - I think it was wise of him to accept assignment to the minors.  Especially with what I am hearing about his wounded knee. (accidental pun)  I did not notice until that mess down I-95 about an hour and 45 minutes that his velocity was down.  Way down.  He was topping out at 88 mph.  He is generally (even in his harder to watch ADHD starts) hitting the radar at 91-3.  It seemed his inability to finish off his delivery, especially the slider, would lend legitimacy to him pitching hurt.  So he goes to Buffalo.  He can rehab his knee. Fine tune his delivery.  Most importantly, he can do these things without having to answer to the fans or have the games count.  The latter being more of a concern to me.  We used to be dealing with a super talented pitcher with a fragile ego.  Now we are dealing with a super talented pitcher with the same fragile ego plus 37 million dollars.  The very last thing  I want to see is him dog it until we trade him and pay most of his salary just in time for him to get right and pitch for another contract.   We all love how much New Yorkers love to grant redemption to those that earn it.
6)  Speaking of redemption.  Was that Castillo I saw stealing a base last night? And the night before?  Was that the same guy I have been seeing ranging from behind second base to shallow right field with his glove?  Same guy I see getting on base almost 40% of the time?  I know the jury will have to deliberate on him for at least a half a season.  So far he looks like 75% of the guy I remember in Florida when he was part of one of the best 1-2 tandem I have ever seen. (Juan Pierre being his partner then) Won't you help me sing.  These songs of what could be.  Wait until the second half.  Redemption... Possible. 
7) Nice to see a young starting pitcher get called up for his first start.  Have who are usually 2 very reliable outfielders force him to pitch a 4 out inning and still gut his way to what was a very quality start.  Love the 2 different curve-balls.  Neise looked pretty nice.    
More to come. 
For now the Backstop's got your back. So keep looking forward.
The Backstop    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers